This list of 8 Things Every Happy Woman Should Have has been floating around for quite some time, but I only recently stumbled upon it on my daily fix of Cupcakes and Cashmere. After reading Emily’s list, I felt the urge to write down my own. It really does help hone in on the little things in life that shape who we are as women. So here goes…
Eight Things Every Happy Woman Should Have
- A go-to drink… depends on the occasion and the company, but I do have my go-to’s. While it may seem cheesy, Cosmopolitans with my mom are a standby. I love most wine, though tend to go for whites over reds. I love rich seasonal beers and IPA. And no sushi dinner is complete without a lychee martini.
- A go-to Karaoke Song… ummm, no. Karoake really isn’t on my bucket list. I feel awkward enough most of the time without adding a microphone to the mix. But if I had to choose, I’d probably go for Queen. Of the ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’ variety. Duh.
- A uniform… I love mixing girly dresses with biker boots and layers of jewelry – dresses, boots and chunky sweaters are the basis of my wardrobe. I think I love jewelry more than clothes, so my accessory stash is a bit excessive. Layers of jewelry over a simple tee, jeans and an oversized cardigan is my ultimate lazy-but-cute standby. Mixing mostly neutrals with one pop of color never fails. I’m also a fan of socks over tights in the winter -I think it might be the 8-year survivor of a Catholic all-girls school aspect of my personality peeking out?
- A hair stylist they love… still working on this one! Any NYC suggestions for long-haired blondies?
- An exercise routine… I used to be a die-hard gym fanatic, without realizing that I had fallen into a rut. Now I’m running more than ever, something I never thought I’d enjoy. Yet I’ve found it to be the one time of the day when I’m truly focused on the present. Yoga 2-3 times a week and running 3-4 a week is my new routine, and it feels good as hell to not be trapped in a sterile gym as often.
- A hobby… making jewelry has always been a hobby that I’ve wanted to turn into something more, and I finally bit the bullet and signed up for a beadwork class at SVA for next semester. I’d love to turn a hobby into something viable and really hone my skills.
- A best friend… I’m lucky enough to have wonderful women in my life. My best friend from high school, from college, and from my “adult” life are three completely different individuals, but they each understand me to my core. I couldn’t live without them.
- A healthy sense of self… I’m getting there. I have good days and bad days, but I feel like I’m coming into my own. That’s what your twenties are for, right?